Monday 19 August 2013

August Break Day 13: Home

The August Break 2013

Wow! I seem to have taken a break from The August Break itself! I must confess that my blogging has become a bit sketchy of late. I spent the weekend cleaning our flat so as to prepare it for the first ever visit from my Father-in-law this week. Although I generally despise chores and cleaning (I am a pretty messy person who loves clutter), it did feel cathartic to get rid of loads of stuff and to scrub the bathtub.
Between scrubbing and wiping and washing and a rather traumatic dentist's appointment (he revealed that I will not need my wisdom tooth out, but rather a root-canal on another tooth instead. This is my 'new' dentist as I am so disgusted with the last one I went to, that I have decided never to darken his dentist's chair again), I did not have time to blog. So here are the last few entries:

The theme for Day 13 was Home. Rather than take a photo of a 'home,' I decided to photograph what 'home' means to me as a concept. So here it is! My husband's wedding band. Because 'home' is where he is and by sealing our love with a ring, he has given me my 'own home' with him forever.


It is very unlike me to be sentimental. But that's marriage for you. It makes you all mushy!

While I was out and about last week in Central London I came across another idea for the theme of 'home.' A whole crowd of several hundred Scottish men (and a few women) had descended on Trafalgar Square to take part in basically a giant piss up in honour of a friendly football match between Scotland and England that evening. I spoke to one man who had a sweet disposition, a tartan kilt, a rather large furry sporan and a can of beer in his hand. He told me he had travelled all the way from Glasgow and was 'far from home.' So of course that immediately put into my mind the idea of 'home'

Here they are. The Scottish sipping beer in London, far, but not too far, from home.


No comments:

Post a Comment