Sunday 24 February 2013

Metaphorical Sharks and Blood


It was only a matter of time before a US remake of the original British political thriller/drama/black comedy about a Chief Tory Whip who murders and connives his way to the top, surfaced on our TV screens. Except that it is not on our TV screens at all. It is being shown on Netflix, the online pay-to-stream from the internet TV and film company. So of course, like many people, after reading about Netflix's ridiculously expensive purchasing of the rights of the show, I headed online to Netflix, signed up for a free monthly trial and accidentally watched 3 episodes of the new American version of House of Cards back to back.

It is a great show. Not because the filming is great or the scenery or even actually the plot. I much prefer the British original series for its twisting and surprising plot twists. But this US remake is great because of Kevin Spacey portraying slimy, Machiavellian Francis Underwood. Yep, I basically watch it for him. Him and his ice queen of a wife, Claire (portrayed with conflicted creepiness by Robin Wright). Together they are the Macbeth and Lady Macbeth of American politics. No one in this show is nice. All of the characters are pretty ruthless, ambitious and despicable, but strangely I don't seem to care when watching the show. I often feel I need to have at least one character in a film or TV drama to sympathise with, but watching House of Cards is a bit like a guilty pleasure because I don't feel sorry for anyone (not the cocaine snorting congressman, the idealistic egotistical charity worker, the furious teacher's union leader, the horrifically selfish young journalist shamelessly using her sex appeal or even the new arrogant Secretary of State who gets horrifically screwed by Underwood) and I still love the show.

Underwood is the ultimate anti-hero. I actually want him to succeed even though he is basically evil and power-hungry. One of my favourite scenes of the show is when he feels guilty about a particularly bad action he took and goes into a church to try praying to god. After exhausting that option, he tries to pray to the devil  with exasperation in his voice and then in the end he gives up and determinedly grinds out between his teeth, hands crossed on the church's altar: 'I pray to myself! For myself!'

Francis Underwood toasting to you for voting for him?
Although I could see a fair few of the plot twists coming, the script kept me surprised. Like the original British series, the US version has a great script, which involves Underwood addressing the viewer directly like the original Francis Urquhart (played by Ian Richardson) did which not only makes the show very funny but also draws the viewer into some of Francis' inner motivations and plans before other characters know about them. This direct address to camera, makes the viewer an accomplice in all of the immoral actions of Francis himself.

The British Francis Urquhart giving you his trademark raised eyebrow.
Along with his creepy knowing confiding looks to the audience, Francis also gets some great lines. There is of course the well known: 'You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment,' said by Kevin Spacey with a southern twang as apposed to the plummy posh English tones of Ian Richardson in the original series. My husband (whose middle name is Francis ironically) delights in saying this to me whenever he does not want to answer a question I have asked him directly. For example:

Me: Do you think I have gained weight? Do I look fat in this dress?
Husband: You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
Me: You better bloody well comment!

Other gems from the series are:
Francis Underwood: (referring to his wife) I love that woman. I love her more than sharks love blood. 
Francis Underwood: It's so refreshing to work with someone who'll throw a saddle on a gift horse rather than look it in the mouth.

I have personally taken quite a liking to the overly dramatic line about sharks and I have started using it in normal conversation much to the amusement of my husband and the bewilderment of my friends.

Me: I love these shoes more than sharks love blood.
Friend: Really?! That's disgusting.

Me: I love this doughnut more than sharks love blood.
Husband: (giggle) The words doughnut and blood should never be used in the same sentence. Ever!

Me: I love my new zumba class. I love it more than sharks love blood.
Work Colleague: Oh my god! That quote is from House of Cards isn't it? I love that show! I love it more than sharks love blood!

Normally I hate it when Hollywood remakes foreign films or British TV series, especially when the original programmes are especially good in their own right. But in this case, Hollywood has come up trumps and I am eagerly awaiting the next series. As for staying a member of Netflix, well...we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment